Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Back To Basics: Residency Requirement To Get A Divorce In California

If you need to obtain a California divorce there is a state residency requirement and you can look to California Family Code Section 2320. Section 2320 requires that a judgment of dissolution of marriage may not be entered unless one of the parties to the marriage has been a resident of California for six months and of the county in which the family law matter is filed for three months immediately before you file your petition with the Superior Court.

However, if you are obtaining a legal separation, please note that you may file a petition for legal separation before the residency requirement for divorce have been met. This means that if you cannot meet the state's residency requirement for divorce, an option may be to file for legal separation and then amend the petition to seek dissolution after at least one spouse has met the state residency requirement. If you have some doubts as to whether you or your spouse meets the state residency requirement for divorce in California, please feel free to contact one of our attorneys at Castellanos & Associates, APLC at (323) 655-2105. We will be happy to discuss with you the state jurisdictional requirements for obtaining a divorce in California.

2 comments:

  1. Good post! Thanks for sharing this information I appreciate it. God bless!

    Affordable divorce lawyer Nassau County

    ReplyDelete
  2. Life is good when you have your love ones around you, I am saying this because when i had issues with my lover i never seen life as a good thing but thanks to Dr. AGBAZARA of AGBAZARA TEMPLE, for helping me to cast a spell that brought my lover back to me within the space of 48hours. My husband left me for another woman after 7YEARS of marriage,but Dr.AGBAZARA help me cast a spell that brought him back to me within 48hours. I am not going to tell you more details about myself rather i will only advise those who are having issues in there relationship or marriages to contact Dr.AGBAZARA TEMPLE through these details via; (agbazara@gmail.com) or call him on +2348104102662

    LUCY from USA.

    ReplyDelete